What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
dean36014

Re: What did you do today?

Post by dean36014 »

Finally got round to doing the rear abs sensor change on the Merc. Being an early w202 it has a single rear sensor going into the diff. I'd been putting the job off as I'd read the sensor seizes in making it a twat to change. Typically they were correct. It started to come out lovely, turn it gently with lots of wd40 and mole grips. Then just as it got about halfway it snapped leaving it stuck in place. An hour of drilling with greased drill bits to avoid debris going into the diff itself and I finally managed to get the bastard out. New one popped in, started her up....and still got a warning light. Dragged the laptop out and used the carsoft program and cleared the existing code and bingo! A little road test revealed lovely smooth gearchanges again due to reconnecting a vacuum pipe I'd knocked of the autobox a few weeks previous and an abs light that now works correctly. Buoyed with that success I fitted a cheapo Chinese replacement electric aerial that no doubt will last about three weeks and can now listen to radio 2 again. Now to book it in for a mot.
eddyramrod
The Invacare Destroyer

Post by eddyramrod »

Went to the Co-op and picked up Classic Car Buyer. Huggy's in, with a page about the recent brake work. :)
Custodian of an ungrateful Jag.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Any news on you driving again Eddy? I've lost track of progress over the last few months.
Private signature, do not read
Chancer
Damned bloated plutocrat landlord

Post by Chancer »

Topped up the coolant tank in the van (2003 pug partner hdi) again today. Radiator is leaking slightly, MOT due on tuesday. If it passes then a new rad is first thing on the agenda....along with coolant temp sensor as its always in the red! Normally i ignore the temp guage, but knowing the rad is on way out makes for squeaky bum time...
Keeping them mowing blades sharp
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Daughter's polo had failed its mot on a broken spring, a worn track rod end and a side repeater on the blink (by not blinking).

Wrestled both the spring and TRE and thought job done, just need a bulb. Turns out it's not a bulb though.

This whole part of the wing mirror needs replaced. Modern cars, who would have one?

It's a sealed unit that wasn't sealed anymore as there was water sloshing around inside.

I took it apart to see if I could fix it.

LEDs and solder. Probably don't like water.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Broken springs are commonplace now, used to be a rare occurrence.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

We just had yet another on my son's Pluriel.

I seem to remember reading that it's due to the ends being cut flat, as its cheaper, rather than tapered and also cutting corners in the heat treatment.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

fried onions wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:32 am Broken Roads are commonplace now, used to be a rare occurrence.
Have fixed your quote to make sense :lol:

No offence meant just for fun ;)
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

fried onions wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:32 am Broken springs are commonplace now, used to be a rare occurrence.
Cheaper manufacturing techniques coupled with lower grade steel - as long as the specifications are good enough to last until it's out of warranty when in business use then it's good enough.
Vince70

Post by Vince70 »

Today while the weather was nice I thought it would be a good time to repaint the roof of the car as it looked terrible condition as someone had hand painted it and the only original paint was lacquer peel and rust.

The local pound shop were doing tins of black enamel paint and so I bought a couple of cans and a pack of foam rollers and it’s transformed the car for a total cost of £3
A529148A-3794-44E3-B0BE-B6063EA025B7.jpeg
A529148A-3794-44E3-B0BE-B6063EA025B7.jpeg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 4956 times