Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by brandersnatch »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:44 am Went to see the Sanglas 500S this morning. Total waste of time.

The bike was a shiny wreck, and no way was it an easy recommission. Butchered screws on nearly every casings, likewise evidence of RTF on all mating surfaces. Tyre sidewalls cracked, chain and sprockets worn out, wiring either brittle or botched up with blue Scotchlocks.

I knew it had been off the road for some years, which was obvious, but I was told that it had documents. It did not, meaning that getting it legally back on the road, let alone fixed, would be very expensive, and more than likely impossible.

He got most upset when I said I didn't want to buy it, not just because it had no documents, but all the obvious faults with the bike, and probably many hidden ones. I left with him shouting some rather rude words at me.

The question remains with me is why are so many Spanish and French private sellers a nightmare to deal with?
Bullet dodged there by the sound of it. One will turn up eventually.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

I am sure one will.

This is a new Spanish brand to me, Gimson
Gimson 50.jpg
Gimson 50.jpg (126.27 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Gimsonnodocs.jpg
Gimsonnodocs.jpg (124.65 KiB) Viewed 323 times
It's cheap, but then it is missing the lights, other parts and it's documents, so quite pointless owning it.

Plus the length of that back mudguard.
JimH

Post by JimH »

Incidentally if anyone knows of one of these that might be available I would be very interested. It must be a proper SL and it must be the Mk1.

Proper bike, that.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

I had a 900SS, but not a Super Light. It was rather a pleasant thing to ride. I imagine the SL would be even better.
JimH

Post by JimH »

You did and I I agonised privately about buying it. They are just proper bikes that make the right noises and have about the right amount of power and just look like what a proper motorbike should.

The thing that puts me off almost every new bike on the market is that no one seems to care about making an exhaust system not look like shite. Even back then there were so many companies that couldn't be arsed to line the can up with the rear body work. Just look at the ones on that SL. They are perfect.
JimH

Post by JimH »

This is a rather elderly whine but I had a lot of time for the Honda SP2 but there was no way on earth I was going to put my own money on one if they thought it was acceptable to turn out an exhaust like this.

Twats.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

That is just aesthetically awful, and I agree that a lot of manafacturers don't seem to bother getting exhaust end cans lined up.
At least you couldn't see the end can on my RC8's, as the ones on some of their bikes (such as the 790) are truly ugly, and means I would never buy one, no matter how good the bike may be. And the ones I ran in for a dealer friend were bloody great!
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

And at least the angle of the endcan one on my Fireblade was almost right.
Nov 2011 RHS.JPG
Nov 2011 RHS.JPG (362.31 KiB) Viewed 285 times
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Avon deathmasters were utterly fine, thank you! My Bonnie had one when I got it and when it wore out, I replaced it with the same again. Huge flex in the sidewall so the tread stays on the ground, looks weird from behind, so I'm informed but worked and gripped well. Only binned it once...

On the Dartmouth ferry of all places when I was asked to move over to the other side, was slightly flustered and had a 'blonde'' moment and hit the gearchange instead of the back brake which made it go faster. Stomping on the rear and grabbing the front on wet wood decking does not end well.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

xtriple wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:55 pm Avon deathmasters were utterly fine, thank you! My Bonnie had one when I got it and when it wore out, I replaced it with the same again. Huge flex in the sidewall so the tread stays on the ground, looks weird from behind, so I'm informed but worked and gripped well. Only binned it once...
That's like trials tyres when used on the road, look spectacularly wrong from behind but feels completely in control