EBay Finds

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: EBay Finds

Post by SiC »

This is apparently still for sale. Very little information but an ok price.

Going by the reg in the window, its a Rover Mini 1000 City E. So nothing too super special. But MOT history looks pretty clean and tidy.

In Central Bristol, so not far away from me either.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 5713487918
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

City E, that was lowest of the low base spec wasn't it?
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Hooli wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:16 pm City E, that was the stripped out lightweight spec wasn't it?
FTFY

Apparently its not rotten (LOL BUT ITS A Mini), so could be worth a punt. FB say its been listed for 5 weeks, so can't be in too much of a rush to sell.

I'd hope to get a bit knocked off that too ideally if its a super base spec one. And because I'm a skin flint.
christine

Post by christine »

Four grand :shock: What you want is a nice mk1 Fiesta 1100 L , in yellow .. fsh , blah ,blah , :P
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

DodgeRover wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:24 pm
panhard65 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:05 am I have been told to avoid South Africa as they are even bigger bodgers than the Yanks, but prices do look reasonable and shipping isn't too bad.
Well I asked the only person I could think of on another forum
@johnnybravo wrote:Having lived there for a number of years,I can offer a bit of an insight,but not much practical hands on experience with importing something into the U.K. [br]South Africa doesn’t grit their roads in winter,so rust from that source shouldn’t be a problem. However.... the oceans surrounding SA are a lot rougher than the U.K. and salt spray in the coastal areas is a big issue. Given the picture of that Elcamino is on a CA number plate,it’s pretty likely it’s a coastal car. Even though he says all paperwork is in order,it is unlikely to be registered in his name. So he’s probably flipping it. He shows up as being in Durbanville, numberplate if registered in his name would be CY not CA. Fact he won’t allow test drives is also suspect. Most South Africans are very friendly. They may not let you drive it,but they definitely would take you for a test drive. [br][br]Ideally you want to avoid number plates starting with C as they are from the Cape. ND ,NP etc you want to avoid as they are Natal, again coastal. GP number plates are good,just watch out for blood as they come from Gangstas paradise,Johannesburg... MP number plates are good too as they are Mpumulanga which is basically all inland. NW number plates also good, very far from the coast.  There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there that will plaster something straight, chuck some alloy wheels on it, give it a re spray before palming it off on an unexpecting new owner. All the better if they are overseas. Given the country has no postal service anymore, the legal system is a joke,and quite frankly you most likely have the wrong skin colour, your chances are slim to none in sorting it out if things go wrong. And that’s what they pray on. Given their economy has gone for a burton ,what seems a cheap price in Sterling,is a shedload of money there. Much more that what they would be able to sell the same vehicle for there. [br][br]Theft is also a major issue. All vehicles need Police clearance before being sold. Again, something to watch out for. I
[br]
South Africa has different regs to us meaning cars can wear out in different ways. In ZA a car only gets tested in their version of an MOT whenever it changes hands.

They don't rust like cars in the UK but South African roads are awful and oily bits can get fucked quickly.

Things like old Fords are more popular with the Dutchmen over there. Learn a new language to negotiate! In Afrikaans they have a saying "I'm a 3-2-1 man." This means a 3 litre Cortina in the garage, a two litre bottle of Coke in the fridge and a litre bottle of brandy in the drinks cabinet.

Traffic regs are different there, for example, there's never been a need to buy car insurance because the blacks won't pay for it. Cars can therefore be thrashed with impunity.

Until recently it was illegal to substantially modify a car there.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

christine wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:38 pm Four grand :shock: What you want is a nice mk1 Fiesta 1100 L , in yellow .. fsh , blah ,blah , :P
I've never really been into Fords. Soz.

(Unless its a 60s/10s Mustang)
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Warren t claim wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:45 pm
DodgeRover wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:24 pm
panhard65 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:05 am I have been told to avoid South Africa as they are even bigger bodgers than the Yanks, but prices do look reasonable and shipping isn't too bad.
Well I asked the only person I could think of on another forum
@johnnybravo wrote:Having lived there for a number of years,I can offer a bit of an insight,but not much practical hands on experience with importing something into the U.K. [br]South Africa doesn’t grit their roads in winter,so rust from that source shouldn’t be a problem. However.... the oceans surrounding SA are a lot rougher than the U.K. and salt spray in the coastal areas is a big issue. Given the picture of that Elcamino is on a CA number plate,it’s pretty likely it’s a coastal car. Even though he says all paperwork is in order,it is unlikely to be registered in his name. So he’s probably flipping it. He shows up as being in Durbanville, numberplate if registered in his name would be CY not CA. Fact he won’t allow test drives is also suspect. Most South Africans are very friendly. They may not let you drive it,but they definitely would take you for a test drive. [br][br]Ideally you want to avoid number plates starting with C as they are from the Cape. ND ,NP etc you want to avoid as they are Natal, again coastal. GP number plates are good,just watch out for blood as they come from Gangstas paradise,Johannesburg... MP number plates are good too as they are Mpumulanga which is basically all inland. NW number plates also good, very far from the coast.  There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there that will plaster something straight, chuck some alloy wheels on it, give it a re spray before palming it off on an unexpecting new owner. All the better if they are overseas. Given the country has no postal service anymore, the legal system is a joke,and quite frankly you most likely have the wrong skin colour, your chances are slim to none in sorting it out if things go wrong. And that’s what they pray on. Given their economy has gone for a burton ,what seems a cheap price in Sterling,is a shedload of money there. Much more that what they would be able to sell the same vehicle for there. [br][br]Theft is also a major issue. All vehicles need Police clearance before being sold. Again, something to watch out for. I
[br]
South Africa has different regs to us meaning cars can wear out in different ways. In ZA a car only gets tested in their version of an MOT whenever it changes hands.

They don't rust like cars in the UK but South African roads are awful and oily bits can get fucked quickly.

Things like old Fords are more popular with the Dutchmen over there. Learn a new language to negotiate! In Afrikaans they have a saying "I'm a 3-2-1 man." This means a 3 litre Cortina in the garage, a two litre bottle of Coke in the fridge and a litre bottle of brandy in the drinks cabinet.

Traffic regs are different there, for example, there's never been a need to buy car insurance because the blacks won't pay for it. Cars can therefore be thrashed with impunity.

Until recently it was illegal to substantially modify a car there.
Another thing to consider is that in ZA a big engine doesn't always mean big power. The reason Ford offered a 3.0 Sierra GL isn't for speed, it was to compensate for it having to run and perform at high altitudes.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

The Aussie based stuff like that El Camino was usually built tough for their roads which were mostly dirt back then, I guess they would have been a good choice for South Africa, the 350 Chev V8 was never set up for power as standard in the utes, that's not to say that most weren't modified for a lot more go over the years....
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:01 pm
paulplom wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:53 pm Hahaha. I swapped my metro convertible for it with a mate, and what I flogged it on for I had to split the profit.
I'm going to be a fanny here; Metro convertible or 100 Convertible? I'm guessing the latter.
M reg 100 convertible in white. My mate used it for his mothers wedding with the ribbons on etc. Three of us also went to Nottingham on a stag do with it as well. 100 mile an hour, roof down all the way with Big Chris in the back. His head and shoulders were above windscreen height and he had to sit sideways as he didn't fit in it properly. He was deaf by the time we got there but he didn't stop smiling all the way down.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

213A2BC2-9507-4681-BA0E-3B7B04FB1052.jpeg
213A2BC2-9507-4681-BA0E-3B7B04FB1052.jpeg (38.18 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274765485024?h ... SwaJJgfZc8
What were they thinking...