EBay Finds

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: EBay Finds

Post by SiC »

paulplom wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:43 am +1 you must have the patience of a saint.
Not really but don't have much other choice, apart from spending more for less.

Half tempted to strip the fucked for parts after all this.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I take it you have warned them it's a pretty obvious ringer and if the DVLA decide to inspect it then they are in for a world of pain and will lose the number anyway?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I've probably lost the plot here but how is it going to get to yours if you do get it?
At least you've got your money's worth of parts if it does go tits up.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

DodgeRover wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:38 am I take it you have warned them it's a pretty obvious ringer and if the DVLA decide to inspect it then they are in for a world of pain and will lose the number anyway?
Yeah told them that it could be a whole lot of hassle and from my correspondence with the DVLA it will be inspected. He said it would not get to that stage and they'll sell it with the plate for no extra if that happens. I presume if they request to inspect, they can always not just do it and then do an ownership change.

From what everyone has said on here, it does appear to be a '62 shell. However it's hard to know exactly what happened. Could have been a re-shell at some point. Most likely in 1979 as that's when the car changed from grey to blue. At that point they were pretty worthless and so a re-shell from a good one was viable. Just a bit too much was reused. Or simply they wanted the reg on that car at the time and it was the easiest/cheapest way to do?

I'm very tempted to find a cheap, very rotten '62 and rebuild it from parts off this. Especially as that 1275cc engine sold separately will bring a good chunk of cash in. Also the shell itself is very solid, so would make an excellent donor.

I'll have a look to see if I can find any chassis numbers on the car. However I suspect they are either scrubbed, changed or missing. Iirc they put them on the floorpan, which was replaced a few decades ago by Charles Ware but the car has never been put back on the road since.

Also looking at Moggies for sale, so many are wrong for their year just like this. Even more of a minefield than Minis. Only a problem I guess when you come to sell it on.

LynehamHerc wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:47 am I've probably lost the plot here but how is it going to get to yours if you do get it?
At least you've got your money's worth of parts if it does go tits up.
In order of preference: Panhard, Worldofceri or a local car recovery guy (reliable and I've used several times before but expensive - he moved it to the farm)

Not sure how I stand if I cancel the deal. Presumably I need to return the parts as I only paid a deposit. If he demands to, he's getting it as a big pile outside his doorstep.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Inflation is a bitch.
Screenshot_20210621-112845.png
Screenshot_20210621-112845.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 1745 times
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-xjs-3 ... 4083553472
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

I'm not certain that you would need to return them.

You paid a deposit but the other party has failed to keep their side of the verbal contract. I know that no time was specified but the usual thing is within a reasonable period unless otherwise stated.

It's a very long time since I was involved in that sort of thing so I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Sheefag and Nergle will be far more up to date on it.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

You could just keep all the stuff, morally, to make up for the massive waste of your limited time and under threat of informing DVLA/Police that they are a bungling bunch of amateur ringers destroying old car history for the sake of a god-forsaken bloody number plate.

I hope they end up with a worthless vehicle but that won't save a Minor that didn't deserve to end like that.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:09 pm You could just keep all the stuff, morally, to make up for the massive waste of your limited time and under threat of informing DVLA/Police that they are a bungling bunch of amateur ringers destroying old car history for the sake of a god-forsaken bloody number plate.

I hope they end up with a worthless vehicle but that won't save a Minor that didn't deserve to end like that.
Thing is, as you've referred to before, the number plate is possibly not right for the car already. I'm not sure I want to know too much about its prior history either! Plus it's been mucked about with even more on top. So I'm not too fussed that it will get another age related plate again different to the original.
Would make an excellent parts donor though.

Kinda hoping I can find some ID on it and get it's correct plate back. But not sure you can do that from a chassis number?
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Would the Minor Owners club have records that'd help?
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Probably not. They don't have enough records of every car.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......