EBay Finds

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: EBay Finds

Post by DodgeRover »

There is an alternative - if it was reshelled with a brand new shell when that colour change happened the existing plate could have been legitimately transferred to the newly rebuilt car without requiring any paperwork rather than registering it again as a brand new vehicle.
Body shells did used to come up cheap if you were in the know, they usually had very minor damage sustained during transit or whilst getting to the line.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

It is entirely possible. However, any mention of "number plate" "value" and "transfer" always makes me think the worst.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

DodgeRover wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:51 pm There is an alternative - if it was reshelled with a brand new shell when that colour change happened the existing plate could have been legitimately transferred to the newly rebuilt car without requiring any paperwork rather than registering it again as a brand new vehicle.
Body shells did used to come up cheap if you were in the know, they usually had very minor damage sustained during transit or whilst getting to the line.
I'm going with that story. 👍 🤣

Especially NOS 1962 shells would have been cheap and easy to get hold of in 1979. Likewise nice 1962 interiors would have been plentiful and cheap to get hold of. Being dateless plate and no way of easily tell the age, anyone buying back pre-dvla internet search wouldn't have known.

Funny how we've got so used to banging in a number plate into the DVLA and finding age, tax, MOT history and the like within seconds.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

On that note, I thought you could re-shell a car with a second hand shell? Just that you couldn't transfer much else over too.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SiC wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:39 pm On that note, I thought you could re-shell a car with a second hand shell? Just that you couldn't transfer much else over too.
I think that takes the ID of the 'new' shell if you do so. Unless it's a separate chassis, when the ID follows the chassis.
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

This looked very good till he fucked the rear arches. Tosser.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

SiC wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:39 pm On that note, I thought you could re-shell a car with a second hand shell? Just that you couldn't transfer much else over too.
You can but it goes straight onto a Q because the original identity had officially been lost. If you retain enough of the donor shell cars parts to pass the 8 point rule then you may keep the identity for that one and avoid a Q.

New shell (even if for a slightly different model) and you are legit to keep the original ID.

We had the last rubber bumper mgbgt shell from Abingdon in about 1985. Somebody turned up a brand spanking phase 2 mk2 transit shell last year!
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

DodgeRover wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:59 pm
You can but it goes straight onto a Q because the original identity had officially been lost. If you retain enough of the donor shell cars parts to pass the 8 point rule then you may keep the identity for that one and avoid a Q.

New shell (even if for a slightly different model) and you are legit to keep the original ID.

We had the last rubber bumper mgbgt shell from Abingdon in about 1985. Somebody turned up a brand spanking phase 2 mk2 transit shell last year!
Was the 8-point rule a thing back in 1979?