Dan's Crapi project.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Danthecapriman

Re: Dan's Crapi project.

Post by Danthecapriman »

mercrocker wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:44 am If those are the niggles for a first mile out it is pretty impressive....You've essentially hand-built a production-line car from a combination of original used and new replacement parts with a potential age difference of half a century. Shaking it down isn't going to be a 5 minute job but you'll be driving a car that will improve with use and fettling.

Looks damn nice on the road, too, all the better for being a sub-Ghia/S pack in a nice period showroom colour....
Never thought of it quite like that!
But you’re right. It’s not really a Ford built car anymore! It’s a Danbuilt using mostly Ford parts :D

My aim with it and doing the way I have is that the things Ford couldn’t do or wouldn’t bother doing, I have done which will make it a better, longer lasting car.
They are a fantastic car as they were made, but they did have their limitations and quality issues. But that’s how Ford made money. They couldn’t do it how I’ve done it or they’d be out of business pretty soon!

I’m dead pleased with how it looks on the road too. Obviously seeing it in those videos is a perspective I’ve not seen from the drivers seat but it does look good imho! It looks exactly how I want to really. If that white car wasn’t following me as I turned into the drive that could almost have been filmed when the car was new(er).
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 7.0 V8
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

Excellent work, the Capri looks lovely. Nice colour too. I do have a soft spot for all the Capris including the Consul version (I used to drive about in one back in the 70s). I'm guessing that the Mk2 model is the rarest, I can't remember when I last saw one. Mind you I can't remember what I was doing a couple of days ago because old git.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

I’m fresh out of superlatives. Lovely. Proper lovely.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

59Impala wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:27 pm Excellent work, the Capri looks lovely. Nice colour too. I do have a soft spot for all the Capris including the Consul version (I used to drive about in one back in the 70s). I'm guessing that the Mk2 model is the rarest, I can't remember when I last saw one. Mind you I can't remember what I was doing a couple of days ago because old git.
Mk2’s are the rarest ones. They were made for the shortest time and sold the fewest, although sales were strong for the first couple of years. Over time they’ve become even scarcer as people remember and prefer the original stylish Mk1 or the butch Mk3.
The Mk2 has a much softer less muscular style to them than the others I think, which doesn’t help!
But, definitely of their time I think and well worthy of being saved… got to be honest though, I prefer the Mk2 to the Mk3 any day! Much nicer looking cars imho.
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Danthecapriman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:41 pm Got the seat belts & stalks back in properly too.
No idea wtf is going on with the belts tbh. The clip should be facing into the cabin not as it is here into the pillar, and the label on the bottom of the belt should be facing towards the pillar… I’m 99% sure the reels won’t fit on the wrong side of the car so fuck knows.
They do work fine as they are though!

IMG_2090.jpeg

Chrome trims on the doors is now back on along with new window seals. The passenger side door on this car has a genuine Ford skin, this comes complete with pre drilled holes for the chrome trim & weather strip retaining clips to rivet on. The drivers door is a reproduction though and doesn’t come with holes so I had to measure it all up and transfer the measurements over.
The window seals are slightly different to the original ones, they seem a bit wider and flatter than I remember.
All the rivets for the clips were dipped into a tin of Waxoyl first, so when the rivet is compressed it squeezes all the Waxoyl tightly into the hole and stops moisture getting In.

IMG_2091.jpeg

I found the metal bracket and seal strip for under the bonnet. I think this is just there to reduce wind getting in under the bonnet. I’ve not seen these on other mk2’s though? Maybe they just get removed over the years??

IMG_2094.jpeg
I would have thought that your spec of Capri would've been fitted with static belts?
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Warren t claim wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:01 pm
Danthecapriman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:41 pm Got the seat belts & stalks back in properly too.
No idea wtf is going on with the belts tbh. The clip should be facing into the cabin not as it is here into the pillar, and the label on the bottom of the belt should be facing towards the pillar… I’m 99% sure the reels won’t fit on the wrong side of the car so fuck knows.
They do work fine as they are though!

IMG_2090.jpeg

Chrome trims on the doors is now back on along with new window seals. The passenger side door on this car has a genuine Ford skin, this comes complete with pre drilled holes for the chrome trim & weather strip retaining clips to rivet on. The drivers door is a reproduction though and doesn’t come with holes so I had to measure it all up and transfer the measurements over.
The window seals are slightly different to the original ones, they seem a bit wider and flatter than I remember.
All the rivets for the clips were dipped into a tin of Waxoyl first, so when the rivet is compressed it squeezes all the Waxoyl tightly into the hole and stops moisture getting In.

IMG_2091.jpeg

I found the metal bracket and seal strip for under the bonnet. I think this is just there to reduce wind getting in under the bonnet. I’ve not seen these on other mk2’s though? Maybe they just get removed over the years??

IMG_2094.jpeg
I would have thought that your spec of Capri would've been fitted with static belts?
As far as I know all Mk2’s had inertia reel belts from new, front only. Unless anyone knows better?
This one’s always had them, all the fittings are factory and the belts themselves have Ford logos and part numbers on them. Pretty sure the part number starts with 73 or 74 (year of first production of that part).
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

More done today.

Carpet on the drivers inner sill was finished. Just needed shaping, trimming to size and gluing in place. Then the sill interior trim was screwed on the top.

Opened up the boot, found the spare wheel retaining bolt and fitted that. The spare was banging about a bit in the wheel well a bit so I’ve put a few off cuts of the carpet under it then bolted it down. Doesn’t move or make any noise now!

Fitted the new old stock stainless wheel centre caps. They were tight as hell to get on! Probably the powder coat on the wheels making them thicker than originally. They certainly shouldn’t fall off though!

Got the vacuum out and hoovered the entire interior out as it was very dusty and full of bits of carpet fluff from fitting it. Looks lovely in there now!

Went around the car looking for little gaps/seams etc etc that might look like they could get moisture in them and sprayed clear wax into them to make sure that doesn’t happen.

Fitted the original tailgate interior trim panel. This is as it left the factory as it wasn’t damaged at all so didn’t need trimming or altering. Just got new clips and a good clean.

Then finally dug out the cars badges and sliced off the metal pins from the backs, the remaining ones that weren’t already broken anyway. So tomorrow I’ll fit these I think.
And, yes, I do have the ‘II’ decal for the tailgate so it should look right!
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
red5

Post by red5 »

Absolutely superb.

A genuine joy to follow the journey, never mind seeing it on the road.

👍
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I had 2 MK 2, 2.0 litre Ghia manual and a 3.0 'S', I really liked them both, great cars.

Oh and I had a 3.0 Ghia auto as well but I only bought that for the plate originally (906WRL) but ended up keeping it for ages.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Very, very impressive indeed.

I really envy people like you who can do it to such high standards, I can't even weld.