Dan's Crapi project.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: Dan's Crapi project.

Post by LynehamHerc »

You haven't been yumping it then?
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Got the two wing shields fitted. Exactly the same as the others, chop off the pins and stick on with trim tape.
These were a bit more difficult to line up though, they’re an awkward shape and nothing around them is really any good to measure from. I used the Ford owners manual pictures in the end to get it in the right sort of place then just did it by eye.
IMG_2144.jpeg
IMG_2144.jpeg (797.05 KiB) Viewed 373 times
IMG_2145.jpeg
IMG_2145.jpeg (744.96 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Had a play with the choke too, that’s not fully opening again after you pull the handle. I think the cables pretty much had it thought so I’ll have a look for a new one.

And since it’s been hot and sunny I’ve finished the cavity waxing on the last places. Inside the front chassis legs, around the roll bar mounts and blasted some into a few seems here and there. The warm weather definitely helps with this as the wax just becomes so thin and runny in the heat. It was dripping out from between the seems like water! In theory rust shouldn’t ever be able to start in these places now.

It’s getting to the point now where there’s not much left to actually do on this! There’s a few bits of paint to touch up inside the car (black on bare metal screw heads etc etc) and a few unpainted bolts/nuts etc in the engine bay.
And I’ve got a molotow liquid chrome pen now too so I can touch up some of the interior trim plastics where the old stuff has flaked off.

Need to get the tracking done too.
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 7.0 V8
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Nothing really happened with this for a while, been doing other boring crap like repointing house walls in the blazing heat!

I have however washed it!
First time in years as I’ve been so slow finishing the waxing and fitting weather seals.
It wasn’t really dirty, just very very dusty. Loads of cobwebs, dust and a surprising amount of yellow pollen dust. Didn’t go over the top this time, just a rinse down with the hose and then a good scrub with hot water and shampoo. Shifted it all off nice.
IMG_2175.jpeg
IMG_2175.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 326 times
IMG_2173.jpeg
IMG_2173.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 326 times
IMG_2174.jpeg
IMG_2174.jpeg (750.63 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Looks much better now.
The paint is lovely on it too! To touch it is like glass and you get a really nice shine & reflection on it. Says a lot for the guy that painted it - proper old school tradesman that’s time served and good at his trade! Really happy with it and a million times better than the old paint job.
It’s strange cleaning it though, last time (2016!) I cleaned it you’d get showered in rust flakes if you went over certain places! Not so now though!
And it doesn’t leak now either.

My new choke cable is here now so that needs fitting.
Anyone know if the carbs on these have a separate spring on the choke mechanism to pull the choke open fully when the handle is pushed back in?
I can’t remember tbh, but it seems to stick slightly closed even with the cable fully in (no choke). A spring on it would probably be enough to stop this but I can’t see one or even if there’s meant to be one.
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 7.0 V8
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

It looks flippin awesome mon brave, you should be very very proud of the way this is turning out
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Dunno about the springs. My late Ma had a S reg one of these, so same shape and lights etc that she kept for ages and was her favourite ever car. I changed the camshaft on the Pinto engine. Hers was a 1.6 single choke carb.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Fab looking thing btw
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)