Superb Pathe film, BMC sponsored?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Superb Pathe film, BMC sponsored?

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

A105 Westminsters and my fave, a Riley Pathfinder. Wolseley 6/80 ex cop cars getting a final fling before the breakers.

fried onions

Re: Superb Pathe film, BMC sponsored?

Post by fried onions »

Good old film. Nice to see the old police Wolseleys. Those 6/80 and Morris Six cars had a funny engine with an unhealthy appetite for exhaust valves. I think 15-20k miles was the norm.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

53 mpg from an A35. Sounds about right.

Check out the three MO Oxfordz en route in Part 1 !

The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Part 2:

cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Someone must have bunged well for the bill to keep using those 6/80's. I've driven a couple standard ones and they didn't seem too impressive, though I believe they were modified considerably for the Met at least.
Not sure if it's Urban myth but I read somewhere that what with them being an Oxford stretched to accommodate the longer engine, they could break in half if really hammered. Whatever, the short lived exhaust valves never seem to have been sorted.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

cros wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:11 pm Someone must have bunged well for the bill to keep using those 6/80's.
They bought wisely -and bought Wolseley. The long front end on what is really a big Minor looks a bit daft. The Palmer 6/90 was far more handsome and the C Series a glorious old lump.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

C series, now you're talking. I believe these are not a 'b and a half' but a completely separate design. I've never owned one but they looked like a much better lump than the IoE anvil my Rover 75 used to be lumbered with. However I'm well pleased with the very smooth 4 that I replaced it with so perhaps Henry Ford was right.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:48 am
cros wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:11 pm Someone must have bunged well for the bill to keep using those 6/80's.
They bought wisely -and bought Wolseley. The long front end on what is really a big Minor looks a bit daft. The Palmer 6/90 was far more handsome and the C Series a glorious old lump.
I quite agree. The connoisseur chooses the BMC era cars. The trouble with the 6/80 and many cars of that time, like my MO, are the low compression ratios thanks to shite Pool petrol they were forced to use. Still, for late 1940's designs they are indeed very nice cars. Its amazing how engine technology came along in leaps and bounds in about 10 years when restrictions on designers were lifted and better materials became available.
Squire Dawson

fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Just googled Pool petrol, quite an interesting read. It seemed to have an octane rating of around 70. And the best you could get before the war was 80.
Squire Dawson

The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

cros wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:48 pm C series, now you're talking. I believe these are not a 'b and a half' but a completely separate design. I've never owned one but they looked like a much better lump than the IoE anvil my Rover 75 used to be lumbered with. However I'm well pleased with the very smooth 4 that I replaced it with so perhaps Henry Ford was right.
B and C Series are completely different. The B Series is an Austin design and I seem to recall reading that the C Series was a Morris designed unit.
If I were buying a Farina, I'd swerve the Oxbridge stuff and go straight for a Westminster or 6/110 big job.

The original A Series (803) was a load of crap before Morris Engines redesigned it (948).