Chadder's MGB, now 13 years off road.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: Chadder's MGB, now 13 years off road.

Post by DodgeRover »

Bloody hell back in the 80s my dad used to do a full body restoration on an MG including floors, castle rails inner outer and Center sills and wings and paint in 2 months and that would be lead loading rather than filler!

How much is a new shell these days?
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

£11-£13k apparently!

You just wouldnt bother would you?

Actually it would probably be cheaper to get a solid car from the states as a body doner ;)

A dry state west coast car ;)
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Is yours a Roadster or a BGT Chadders?
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

ah just seen the pic on old wob roadster

right hang on
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

In the 80s it had new part sills and wings and a full respray for £1k at a backstreet garage in Leeds.
I'm in my mid 60s now and am having more joint problems as well as a knee operation so unless I get it done fairly soon I'll not be able to get in it to drive it.
I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and use man maths to say that the value will be increased by more than the cost of repairs.
My wife and sons think I'm fucking mental and that I won't drive it as it's been off the road for so long but reluctantly accept that I really want to do it.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Cali Car

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113735262666?ul_noapp=true

Texas Car

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d ... 05121.html

It seems to be getting harder to get dry state cars now I guess for this very reason because rust is the biggest issue people would rather start off with a rust free car and its now pushing prices up
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

chadders wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:38 am In the 80s it had new part sills and wings and a full respray for £1k at a backstreet garage in Leeds.
I'm in my mid 60s now and am having more joint problems as well as a knee operation so unless I get it done fairly soon I'll not be able to get in it to drive it.
I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and use man maths to say that the value will be increased by more than the cost of repairs.
My wife and sons think I'm fucking mental and that I won't drive it as it's been off the road for so long but reluctantly accept that I really want to do it.
Do it, no point in keeping that long and not getting to enjoy it.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Mechspec bought up container loads of MGs from as many dry states as they could find in the 80s. In fact I'm pretty sure at one point they actually bought a yard in the states.
They do still rot though, I've seen Aussie ones looking ever so crispy. Rust proofing was minimal when new and there are built in weak spots.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I had mine Ziebarted when I bought it at 18 months old so that presumably helped although it needed new sills and wings when it was in its early teens.
I occasionally think about getting another instead but it'd cost more than the cost of repairs and at least I know the issues with this. This also has a lot of memories attached to it from over the years and a lot of my time 'invested' recently in the electrics and upper bodywork.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Considering how much work it was to sort the sills on my 1100 and they're simpler to replace (less/no bracing needed), it makes sense that it is like £5k to replace the sills on an MGB Roadster