StandBy for Class

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: StandBy for Class

Post by LynehamHerc »

I liked them but by the time they were released the boys had come along so my company car was a Ford Galaxy, which would also comfortably carry all their paraphernalia for days out or holidays.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

I always fancied the turbo nutter version tiiiiiiiiiii or something - excuse my ignorance.
Sat in one at a dealer but headroom was a little tight so that put me off (it's always the first thing I check).
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

The Turbo was a Rover unit and made from pig iron, so it was very heavy. Reliable enough if you don't mind oil leaks.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

11689A76-D010-46B0-8AD6-8CA722F36243.jpeg
11689A76-D010-46B0-8AD6-8CA722F36243.jpeg (732.96 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
These are extremely good cars and one of the most underrated cars of all time. IMO.

Honda 1.8/2.0 cars are totally bulletproof, 623 can suffer head issues.

Window regulators fail, and rear calipers stick. Rear arches rot. TADTS.
Front discs an arse of a job to change. PAS oil cooler pipes also an arse to change, and are unavailable new. These are mild steel so usually rotten.
Pixels fail in the clock, which is also used to display radio code, meaning most have had aftermarket radios fitted. Clock can be repaired (there's a guy on ebay who does them for £20) but it's a big job to strip down the centre console to remove and refit.

One of the best things about Rover 600s is that they're incredibly unfashionable and apart from the turdo, no one wants them. Meaning you can pick up a bargain. They're even unloved among Rover enthusiasts. Mine cost £250 with 6 months mot. It was cheap, but it goes to show they're out there.

Here's my current one, a 620si 2.0 manual. It's a brilliant car. I've had to do the front discs/pads, the pas pipes, and tyres and tracking. It's been faultlessly reliable over the last 8000 miles, something most Rovers would struggle to do. It helps this one has been impeccably maintained by its previous giffer owner. I'm trying to look after it, I've just ordered the bits to service it, and I'm planning to have the cambelt changed later this year.

Uses no oil or coolant despite 107k.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Mine has no rot to the cills or arches.

The discs are only a pig to do on certain models. I think the later Rover engine models had very simple to remove discs which were held in with a grub screw, rather than the 2hr Honda items.

The clocks tend to go if the battery is a bit dodgy.

The window regulators is down to a lack of lubrication in the seals and channels.

I don't even know if mine has sold or not? I slashed the reserve following Saturdays sale, but nobody from Matthewsons came back to me. Of course all the previous enquiries I've had are now out in force.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

I've got a small amount of rust at the bottom of one arch, well above average though. Clock failures are very common, all three of the 600s we've owned have been the same. I think it's when the ribbon between the circuit board and display starts to come away as the glue fails.
Agreed on the window regs. Previous owner told me he had the drivers one replaced, only for the passenger one to then pack up. The drivers one was very slow when I got it, so lubricated the channels with GT85 which has made a difference.
Wasn't aware of the discs being differently attached on Rover engined models. I thought all had roughly the same Honda steering and suspension, with the larger 282mm discs used on some models. I'll bow to your superior knowledge though!
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I'm no fitter, but this is what the lads told me.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

This is a saga now. Matthewsons appear to have let the car go without doing the paperwork on the V5.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

You need to do a proper advert for them.
The auctioneer winds me up far more than he should considering I've never met him.
He comes across as an arrogant cunt and couldn't give a fuck what the cars sell for. No enthusiasm for an auctioneer whatsoever. Characterless too.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I hope he's not a relation 🤣