Rattle Can Painting (and use of strimmers etc)

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: Rattle Can Painting (and use of strimmers etc)

Post by DodgeRover »

Eddie Honda wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:35 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:33 pm
By the way how's the holiday going?
I reckon he fell asleep in the sun and has a burnt coupon
A burnt coupon must be better than taking asleep pissed on the beach in Australia and burning the souls of your feet...
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

I’m thinking about having a go at the roof of my 600 with rattle cans. When my dad painted the rear arch it was a surprisingly good colour match, but I’m worried about the roof becoming stripy, like DoctorRetros Metro. Is this avoidable in the hands of someone competent?
I need to do something. It’s obviously been heavily lacquer peeled in the past and a previous owner has taken what appears to be a scouring pad to it! Now it’s badly scratched and down to the primer. The bonnet and boot were just as bad but I managed to find replacement panels in the right colour for them.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

It’s difficult to see here but it’s awful, really scratched and looks worse in the sun. It lets down the rest of the car now because generally it’s quite tidy. Well good enough for a daily anyway.

I can’t really justify the cost of having it done in a body shop.
6C4F32E5-857F-44CA-912B-E2F239EF5AF2.jpeg
6C4F32E5-857F-44CA-912B-E2F239EF5AF2.jpeg (642.81 KiB) Viewed 819 times
Missy Charm

Post by Missy Charm »

angrydicky wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:49 am I’m thinking about having a go at the roof of my 600 with rattle cans. When my dad painted the rear arch it was a surprisingly good colour match, but I’m worried about the roof becoming stripy, like DoctorRetros Metro. Is this avoidable in the hands of someone competent?
I need to do something. It’s obviously been heavily lacquer peeled in the past and a previous owner has taken what appears to be a scouring pad to it! Now it’s badly scratched and down to the primer. The bonnet and boot were just as bad but I managed to find replacement panels in the right colour for them.
I wouldn't be confident doing a panel of that size with cans. You probably would have to paint the whole panel. I once did a rear wheelarch with cans, with help, and managed to get an acceptable finish but that was in Diamond White. Diamond White is probably an easier proposition than an metallic with a lacquer. Have you thought about a second hand compressor and a spray gun?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I've done the whole of my MGB with rattle cans, some panels are OK, some not. The biggest problem is that they're different shades even though all the cans were from the same supplier. I've now bought enough in one go to redo the whole car and all have the same expiry date so I'm hoping they're from the same batch of paint.
It needs redoing anyway as it's been damaged in places by either the garage or the bodyshop that did the sills
20211002_072521.jpg
20211002_072521.jpg (542.73 KiB) Viewed 806 times
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

Missy Charm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:07 am
angrydicky wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:49 am I’m thinking about having a go at the roof of my 600 with rattle cans. When my dad painted the rear arch it was a surprisingly good colour match, but I’m worried about the roof becoming stripy, like DoctorRetros Metro. Is this avoidable in the hands of someone competent?
I wouldn't be confident doing a panel of that size with cans. You probably would have to paint the whole panel. I once did a rear wheelarch with cans, with help, and managed to get an acceptable finish but that was in Diamond White. Diamond White is probably an easier proposition than an metallic with a lacquer. Have you thought about a second hand compressor and a spray gun?
Got one, but never painted a metallic before!
Missy Charm

Post by Missy Charm »

LynehamHerc wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:49 am I've done the whole of my MGB with rattle cans, some panels are OK, some not. The biggest problem is that they're different shades even though all the cans were from the same supplier. I've now bought enough in one go to redo the whole car and all have the same expiry date so I'm hoping they're from the same batch of paint.
It needs redoing anyway as it's been damaged in places by either the garage or the bodyshop that did the sills

20211002_072521.jpg
House looks lovely, especially with the vines and greenery on the walls and garage. Sports cars are always better in used, even scruffy condition; they are meant to be driven after all.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:05 pm Rattle canning takes skillz.
Do you "blip" the button on/off/on etc like Ed China?

He wasn't just doing it at the ends- but he was doing spots of paint on a rusty MR2 wheelarch.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

angrydicky wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:08 am
Missy Charm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:07 am
Got one, but never painted a metallic before!
It's no different. My transit was metallic. It was flat till I added the lacquer.
You can buy the kit on ebay. You get the rattle cans of primer, colour and lacquer for £18 iirc.
I'd have a go if I were you. You can't make it any worse.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Even if you do make it worse, it's got more protection with extra paint on.
Private signature, do not read