Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - MOT Passed

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - Three Amigos

Post by Hooli »

Hmm it was going too well really passing an MOT with no big issues. Leaving work today the three amigos of ABS, traction control & stability control started showing on the dash. No codes on my cheap bluetooth dongle of course, but I don't think it normally covers ABS type issues.

I bet the Halfrauds idiots disturbed an ABS sensor cable & didn't clip it back properly & it's now been eaten by a tyre. I'll take a look underneath at the weekend. I know the cables can't have been loose the day before the tyres were fitted or they'd have been picked up by the MOT.
Private signature, do not read
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

If it is the same abs block as the discovery then it is an easy fix just needs a wire soldered into bypass the internal wiring.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Ta, I'll take a look underneath for damaged wires etc first. Seems logical as monkeys had the wheels off recently, if I can undo the nuts of course.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Get a decent code reader on it and check for codes the shuttle valves are what play up on the Disco's
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I can look underneath for free, if I can't see owt I'll take it to get codes read.
Hooli

Re: Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - cheap fix!

Post by Hooli »

For the first time ever I've had a cheap fix on this car, maybe it's starting to like me?

I popped all three fuses for the ABS out to check them, none had blown but one must have had a dodgy connection as everything works again!

I also found the fuse for the charge cooling waterpump had gone, I had no idea it existed untill I was reading the manual earlier to find the ABS fuses. Having tried pulling the replacement fuse with the ignition on I can hear the pump working, so hopefully that might be the cause of the drinking issue as I assume it pumps the coolant around the inlet manifolds.

Obviously you can't have a totally successful day as I found a rear mudflap about to fall off, so that's now in the boot as a clip has gone missing. I blame the kerbs in the work carpark, they are so high the flaps drag on them when trying to fit into the tiny spaces.

I'll look online later and hope to be able to order the clip separately as one flap missing will annoy me.

Oh I nearly forgot, it's showing exactly 85k now, which shows how little I use it.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I once recovered a car, which chucked it at a very busy interchange between dual carriageways where a fuse had burn on the leg where the metal blade performs a right angle turn and goes into the plastic section, which is visible when you look at the fuse board. I've never seen anything like it before or since. Of course, I ordered a full recovery based on a fuse, but unless you pulled out every fuse and looked at them individually you'd never have found that at the roadside. Once the fuse was replaced, it never went again.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I'm pretty sure these are all the original fuses as the fonts match & the spares in the boot fusebox are still taped in as they were from the factory. So after 20 years I guess they are allowed to play up occasionally.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

By their nature, they must wear out.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Seemed like a dirty contact, if they do it again I'll get all the fuses out & soak it in contact cleaner. Thankfully the two fuseboxes under the bonnet aren't that big.