Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - MOT Passed

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Re: Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - Unexpected Success!

Post by xtriple »

Number one son came down yesterday, driving the Jaguar X308 4 litre that he inherited from his mate alex (who died suddenly at age 29 :( ) it is a lovely red colour and he has just had a new exhaust made for it, only external sign is slightly bigger tailpipes but boy, does it sound GREAT! Really rather throaty and growly but not really noisy, I really like the damn thing and I'd love an XJR.

Proper jealous here.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

xtriple wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:32 pm Number one son came down yesterday, driving the Jaguar X308 4 litre that he inherited from his mate alex (who died suddenly at age 29 :( ) it is a lovely red colour and he has just had a new exhaust made for it, only external sign is slightly bigger tailpipes but boy, does it sound GREAT! Really rather throaty and growly but not really noisy, I really like the damn thing and I'd love an XJR.

Proper jealous here.
I used to see a XJR about with a sports exhaust on before I got this, it sounded like a damn Spitfire on full chat. Utterly fantasic noise. When this one needs a new exhaust I'll to get something a touch louder, but not silly. Would be nice to hear the V8 properly.
Private signature, do not read
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Hooli wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:20 pm
xtriple wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:32 pm Number one son came down yesterday, driving the Jaguar X308 4 litre that he inherited from his mate alex (who died suddenly at age 29 :( ) it is a lovely red colour and he has just had a new exhaust made for it, only external sign is slightly bigger tailpipes but boy, does it sound GREAT! Really rather throaty and growly but not really noisy, I really like the damn thing and I'd love an XJR.

Proper jealous here.
I used to see a XJR about with a sports exhaust on before I got this, it sounded like a damn Spitfire on full chat. Utterly fantasic noise. When this one needs a new exhaust I'll to get something a touch louder, but not silly. Would be nice to hear the V8 properly.
The exhaust he had made wasn't that expensive, about £300 from memory, fits and sounds fantastic. I do recall it was about a third of the price of a standard system!
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Theres a place up here trying to make a name for themselves with stainless steel exhausts who are keen for business. I was going to get them to fabricate a new system for my Disco, but when mild steel is £100 for centre and back (all the way from the front flexi) is it worth it?

I do have a stainless steel one for my Rover but it doesn't half boom. Its been amended by the supplier to cut down on boom and I've added a sound jacket under the carpet from the back seat to the boot lid.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

We've got a few around here that do it, no rush yet as the one on it is just rusty rather than rotten
Hooli

Re: Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - Coolant Flush

Post by Hooli »

No pics as I'm sure you all know what anti-freeze, puddles & engine hoses look like.

I drained & flushed the cooling system this morning as part of trying to find why it seems to think it's getting to hot & losing power/MPG. What came out didn't seem too bad to me, so we'll see if it's made any difference. It wasn't until I started following hoses to work out how to drain & flush each bit I noticed the XJRs have an extra rad compared to the NA engines. As far as I can tell from the layout of the cooling system, after the 'stat there is a T-piece in the top hose to the rad. The small hose off the T-piece feeds the two water cooled inlet manifolds (charge coolers I guess) and then that water has it's own small rad in front of the main rad & aircon rad, which feeds back into the return hose from the main rad.

While I had bits off I took the intake temp sensor out & cleaned it, it only had a typically oily/carbony coating like anything in the intake gets but it might help. I wanted to take it out just to check it didn't look damaged or owt.

I'd swear the charge coolers used to get hot to the touch within a few mins idling & now they don't. I gave it a 5 mile run just to ensure all the air was out. I think it was being more responsive, but though could have been wishful thinking. Then I went out on the bike for a few hours & checked the XJR's levels when I got back & it'd cooled down.

I shall now use it as little as normal so it'll take ages to find out if it's helped or not.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Oh & it's MOT time next month, must book it in soon.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

My gf's dad is a bit of a mad scientist and is always making and inventing stuff. Be's a total hoarder too. He lives in a massive house by himself and you can barely get in it. It has little walkways throught the place with shit piled up high either side. It's a lovely, grand old place and even has a swimming pool. You can't use it of course as all around it is piled high with boxes of crap and old news papers etc.
Anyway. He's quite good with his hands and has built his own trike in the past based on a beetle.
But what stands out is his jag xjs ex v12. He thought it used too much petrol so he ripped the engine out and replaced it with a 2.7 turbo diesel from a rotten terrano.
You couldn't make it up. I've never been in it but I do wonder if the jag manages to refine the tractor like qualities of the engine.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Some people need to ask should I do this? rather than can I do this?
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Are you refering to the vw trike?
He's brilliantly intelligent but a fucking halfwit at the same time.