Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - MOT Passed

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - Back On The Road

Post by LynehamHerc »

Warren t claim wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:14 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:06 pm A couple of the Finance Directors I worked for had new company XJs, one a 4.2C and the other a 3.2, both auto.
Not exactly big sample I know.
Surely they were made 15 years apart?
Yep. I worked for one in the late 70s/ early 80s and the other one in the 90s.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

TBH, any Series XJ6 fitted with a 4 speed manual o/d box was hard work to drive.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Warren t claim wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:16 pm And just to prove that accountants know fuck all about depreciation and residual values, the accountant at the place I used to work had a beige XJ12 with cloth trim.
But you might actually want to lose as much money as possible on an asset, e.g. for Capital Allowance reasons.
Just because it superficially doesn't make sense doesn't mean that it doesn't.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

LynehamHerc wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:34 pm
Warren t claim wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:16 pm And just to prove that accountants know fuck all about depreciation and residual values, the accountant at the place I used to work had a beige XJ12 with cloth trim.
But you might actually want to lose as much money as possible on an asset, e.g. for Capital Allowance reasons.
Just because it superficially doesn't make sense doesn't mean that it doesn't.
Has any fleet manager asked you to recommend any particular fleet car?

Back in 1978 when I was a mere eight year old I went with Claim_Grandad to the local Ford dealers to buy a dozen Mk4 Cortina 1.3Ls to replace the three year old, 60,000 mile Mk3 Cortina 1300 two door base reps cars for the family builders merchants. Kirbys Of Wrexham informed him that due to strike action they couldn't provide a date to supply the cars. We then drove to Chester Engineering, a Vauxhall dealer and they said that they could deliver the right number of Cavaliers within a month as long as he wasn't choosy on the colour. The only drawback was that if he wanted 1300 models he'd have to wait a few months so they'd have to be 1.6s. Claim_Grandad wrote out a cheque and the reps got themselves an unexpected upgrade.

Disposal of the leggy Mk3 Cortinas involved ringing two Liverpool used car dealers, Barlows and Blundell And Davies, and seeing who'd pay the most for the job lot. Once the deal was done we'd make a point of buying a copy of The Liverpool Echo the following Friday to see them advertised as 30,000 mile bargains!

I very much doubt that fleet cars are bought and sold the same way today.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

No.

My company cars have usually been that I was allowed x%, say 40%, of my salary to buy one and I'd arrange a deal with the dealer and the company would buy it. Residuals were irrelevant, these were perk cars. In later years I'd be allowed a monthly lease cost, usually enough to lease a ML270 or similar.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Back to the blown heap...

Stripped the brakes down tonight, left front caliper was seized & still isn't healthy. It's working now but I don't think the piston will go back far enough to fit new pads that it needs. I think I'll price up two front calipers as the right hand one doesn't feel great either, then probably take the existing ones apart before actually ordering new ones.

No idea on the ABS etc, cleaned the connectors & it still doesn't work. I need to get something to read the codes really.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Sounds like an excellent way of writing off what would otherwise be lost to tax....
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Stripping the callipers off the other day hasn't fixed the sticky brake. TBH I didn't think it would as the piston felt wrong pushing it back in, currently pricing new callipers to save wasting time trying to rebuild them. I'll order pads all round too as it needs them as well.

In the good news though is filling the ABS sensor plugs with penetrant spray has fixed the ABS etc fault, I thought it would as the NSR plug was full of water again.

Not heard back from the exhaust place, I'll chase them soon but the brakes are more important as it'll pass an MOT once they are done.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Ordered parts today, they should be here tomorrow so I can do the job at the weekend.

Both front callipers, pads all round, genuine oil filter. £244 delivered. The state of the callipers mean I wouldn't be 100% confident in knowing I could fix them after just stripping them, so this means I know I can get back on the road without it parked up on stands blocking the drive so I can't get bikes past it. Plus it might be dragging brakes that have affected the MPG since I got it, the pistons have always seemed to difficult to push back when I've touched the brakes before. Hopefully it'll go from bloody awful to just bad & pay for the parts over winter in saved fuel costs. I'll get some oil locally as they didn't do it, seems to need expensive 5w40 fully synth. I think I'll need some more brake fluid at the same time.

Once the old callipers are off I will strip them for a look to see if they are savable. Then stick them on the side once rebuilt if so.
christine

Post by christine »

I followed an xk ? F type yesterday with an old style aerial ...looked most odd these days .Why no bee sting or heated window one ?