Jag! The Ghostly fleet thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: Reliable Mazda Engine: a spectral fleet thread

Post by bub2006 »

Have you checked Albert looms for 850 bits? I'll keep an eye out. I forgot it's actually a eunos you have so will be fully loaded by mx5 standards. Good to know AC works also as well as in Volvo. Didn't think the civic would have it!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

ghosty wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:34 am Nope, no other vehicles cover yet.
That's a shame, I'd let you have a spin in the Boxster at Chumley otherwise.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Does this mean you're finally getting a haircut?
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

bub2006 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:12 pm Have you checked Albert looms for 850 bits? I'll keep an eye out. I forgot it's actually a eunos you have so will be fully loaded by mx5 standards. Good to know AC works also as well as in Volvo. Didn't think the civic would have it!
Haven't been to Looms as it's a fair old trek on the off chance and I can't think of anything I need tbh. I never talk about the Volvo as it just works, anything it needs is available new, trim etc is all fine. The only thing I could use is a working RHD blower motor, and they're not exactly easy to find. I currently have an LHD one bodged in backwards so the motor is weak as it's effectively running through a step down transformer. Can't think of a lot I need tbh unless by some chance there's rot free front wings or a blower motor going.
The MX5 has aircon, electric windows, power steering, and that's about it for standard features, lol. No leather, but I'd rather it didn't anyway. Does have factory Momo wheel and headrest speakers though. I love how simple it is.

Think the filter on the autobox needs clearing as it holds first too long, and lockup doesn't always engage, and slips in and out (disabling and enabling the overdrive knocks it in, but it drops out again). Shifts don't slip though.

Also need to get to the bottom of that rapid rhythmic knocking noise coming from the front. It feels like wheel balance but I've swapped the wheels front to back and I'm not sure it's made a difference. Dad says it doesn't seem to be wheel bearing etc, wonder what it could be.
Watch for pedestrians...
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Are the wheels or the weights catching on the caliper slightly?
OMG U OK HUN?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I've had crumbling bearing cages on wheel bearings make odd noises while the bearing still felt smooth & ok.

I'd start by jacking it up & spinning the wheel to try & replicate it, then do the same without the wheel fitted.
Private signature, do not read
John F

Post by John F »

Perhaps you have a brick in the tyre?

[youtube][/youtube]
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
Bertram

Post by Bertram »

I can bring a heater blower to Cholmodeley if you want. IIRC I took it out for a reason but it does work. Free to good home of course.
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

RHD eh? I'd appreciate that, can swap it easily. IIRC Reb said something about him having some spare floor mats a while ago too? I'll have to ask him again as it might be useful if you could bring them down for me...

I've ordered a replacement droplink for all of £10, as mine's been knocking for a good couple of months. I'm surprised how much noise one shot bush was making.

~~~~

In MX5 news, the knocking doesn't appear to be a wheel balance issue, as I've had 3 different pairs of wheels on the front now, all to no avail - unless they all need balancing, that I doubt. The CV boots need repacking apparently, but the knocking is decidedly coming from the front, as I can feel it through the floor.

I suspect the wheel bearings as they don't appear to have ever been touched.
Watch for pedestrians...
stillOrange

Post by stillOrange »

Does the rhythmic rapid knocking change it's intensity while turning either way?