Jag! The Ghostly fleet thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
NergleFuttocks
Globalist Imperialist Pig Dog!

Re: Indecision : a spectral fleet thread

Post by NergleFuttocks »

If I were enthusiastic specifically about the marque and willing to take on a potential project which sees the car off the road for several weeks, i’d Not want to be wasting a long journey.

If I were looking for a car I know I could drive away and enjoy for a good while without serious disappointments I would meander back on that long journey feeling happy I had dodged a bullet.

There are quite a few clues in this experience so far to make an informed judgement and run away accordingly.
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

I feel both of those apply.
Watch for pedestrians...
NergleFuttocks

Post by NergleFuttocks »

Are you specifically enthusiastic about the marque? Enthusiasm in this regard specifically means you have followed the trials and tribulations of fellow owners and are prepared for the latter.

Enthusiasm also means you are prepared to write off the financial value of your investment as fixing these beasts is never cheap, and if doing the repairs yourself that you are prepared to have the car as a shed ornament for a long while.

I am a Jag owner. I have been through this. I have roared through tunnels (ok, I have a 12 banger), I have cruised across Europe, the length and breadth of UK and enjoyed about 30,000 miles with relative good luck as the car was used regularly.

But it took several thousand pounds and several months including many many AA calls to get the car in that state.

I bought mine for 750 quid so didn’t feel all would be lost.

15 years and 30 grand later I have a storage unit ornament I see once every 4 years! Still love that car. I am an enthusiast.

Any of this still apply?

Other experiences are available, but most Jag/Daim owners will nod along safely...
NergleFuttocks

Post by NergleFuttocks »

Ok, more perspective: the car looked solid and lovely on the previous owner’s driveway. I bought it unseen from 5500 miles away. I took a train to Buxton to collect. He had to collect me in another vehicle as the thing wouldn’t start. We called AA homestart and they got it working. Battery issues.

Within 200 miles I had it in for a new coil. Then another. Then the crank sensor went. Then the gearbox sensor went. Then the steering rack went. Then the rear suspension went. This was all in the first month.

Then it behaved, passed an MOT and the tester announced how much welding would soon be needed.

So I used it massively until it got to such a terrible bodywork state that I needed to invest or give away.

Restored it, mothballed it away until it threatens to pay me back upon which I will either sell it or buy a house where I can keep it in the state it deserves.
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

Yeah, I'd say it does. I'm like that with cars in general (and especially the Volvo, which relishes being used). My cars have to be well sorted, can't deal with them otherwise, it gets to me.
I've always liked series XJs and XJ40s, I've driven an S2 Daimler Sovereign 4.2 and loved it. I think the Series is a bit more me than the 40 though. One that's cracking windscreens is no good as a base though.
Watch for pedestrians...
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

On reflection, I think an old Series III Jaguar is a bad idea for you. Me? I have a fully equipped 3 car workshop and I can fix stuff. And as much as I love these cars, I could grow to hate one as well. The cracked screen doesn't always* mean the screen pillars are rotten, but as they are bonded in screens, replacement will open up a fuck load of canned worms. After 35 years, a 4.2 litre XK engine will be just about ripe for a rebuild as well.

I'd swerve this and leave it to a masochist.

Did you see that white E28 518 a few pages back? That's more you tbh. It's not a wafty 4.2 Jag, but it's fixable and does 30 mpg. It's also sub zero cool for a youth such as yourself and it would match your ridiculous shirts. I'll even go with you to view it.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (24.38 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Mind you, the owner appears to be an absolute tool.

"That's about all I need say I think, this is a remaining one off, superb original condition, daily drivable, affordable and yet appreciating gorgeous classic bit of head turning German engineering".

FUCK OFF.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

NergleFuttocks wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:44 pm Are you specifically enthusiastic about the marque? Enthusiasm in this regard specifically means you have followed the trials and tribulations of fellow owners and are prepared for the latter.

Enthusiasm also means you are prepared to write off the financial value of your investment as fixing these beasts is never cheap, and if doing the repairs yourself that you are prepared to have the car as a shed ornament for a long while.

I am a Jag owner. I have been through this. I have roared through tunnels (ok, I have a 12 banger), I have cruised across Europe, the length and breadth of UK and enjoyed about 30,000 miles with relative good luck as the car was used regularly.

But it took several thousand pounds and several months including many many AA calls to get the car in that state.

I bought mine for 750 quid so didn’t feel all would be lost.

15 years and 30 grand later I have a storage unit ornament I see once every 4 years! Still love that car. I am an enthusiast.

Any of this still apply?

Other experiences are available, but most Jag/Daim owners will nod along safely...
True that. My bargain* £2.5k XJR cost just* £2.5k in repairs right after I got it. Still got plenty to sort but apart from a leak in the nearside inner wing the puts it into limp mode when it gets too wet it's nothing urgent.

Still worth it though cause Jaaaaaaaaaag and supercharger. I can see a bigger pulley and chip in it's future for more horseys one day.
Private signature, do not read
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

I really like E28s, but autos are preferred (and yes idiot seller). My dad's actually suggested I get an E34, but I see them as beaters, and the styling is a bit blander.

There's a 525e for sale locally but a stancemong's had his way with it.

Oh also, at least in the case of the 528 I wanted to look at, insurance is £600+, everything else I've viewed so far is half that, give or take £20. And the cars themselves are pushing the upper bounds of my budget.
Watch for pedestrians...